Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Me and my boyfriend have been together for going on a year…

Customer Question
Me and my boyfriend...

Me and my boyfriend have been together for going on a year now. Ever since we started dating the mother of his kids has not liked me been trying to fight me on several occasions, came to my house etc. This past weekend I texted her asking why she didn’t like me why she thought I was a harm to her kids, why hasn’t she like me from the start. So me and my boy friend then get into it because I texted her which he was against. He gets out of the car I’m riding around looking for him I go to his friends house which is right where he mother of his kids live. I see his car I stop and ask what was he doing. I didn’t cause and confrontation out from I wasn’t on their property or anything. Once hiss child’s mother notice I’m outside she runs out side down the stairs grabs a stick and comes after me. We then got into a fiat fight. Now he is worried that he will have to have supervised visitation and that I will not be able to be around his kids. Can you please help me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

He is waiting on his court papers for visitation

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Were the police called, or was an arrest made?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the police were not called and no arrest were made.
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Thanks for clarifying.

Your boyfriend's concern then is that the mother of the children will report this incident to the family court judge?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that’s his concern and that I will not be able to be around his kids since it was in front of her house. Although I did not go causing a confrontation. She seen me and came running outside at me.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would that make a difference in visitation?
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Then it comes down to a matter of her word, against you and your boyfriend's.

No, it should not affect his rights to visitation.

There also was not a police report made, so there is no evidence substantiating any threat.

If the judge feels that your being there during his visits is not in the best interest of the children, then yes it's possible the judge can order that you not be present during his visitation time with the kids.

A more likely resolution though if the judge is concerned, is that the judge can order that you not be present at pick up/ drop off times with the mother and your boyfriend present.

Again, those modifications are only if the judge believes it is in the best interest of the children (which is the legal standard judges use when determining any custody or visitation matters).

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones