Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Parents are not married, mother of the child is asking if…

Parents are not married...

Parents are not married, mother of the child is asking if she has any rights to see the house her daughter will be staying at along with what kind of person is the new girlfriend

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has she taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

Nothing has been filed, daughter is 3 and she put the last name on the birth certificate the only the fathers, not both

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Arizona, she was told 2 years ago not to worry because she would get automatic custody

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have been sharing days every week since she was 2

3/20/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the parents have never been to court to get a custody order, the mother is the sole custodial parent by default. So while there is nothing in the law that would specifically give her a right to inspect the father's home or meet his girlfriend (just as he has no right to inspect her home or meet her friends), she doesn't have any obligation to let the child spend time with the father at this point. She can keep the child all the time. It would be up to him whether he wanted to allow the mother into the home or go to court to establish a set custody and visitation schedule.

One of the benefits to setting up a schedule is that the judge can also determine whether either parent should be paying support. Support can be ordered even with equal custody, if one parent makes significantly more than the other. The judge can also enter a caveat that neither partner is allowed to have an unmarried partner sleep over when the child is at his house. Or the mother could ask that neither parent be allowed to introduce the child to a new partner until it's serious.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
You answered my questions, thank you