Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I’m a single father who has custody over my two boys, I

found out that the their...
I’m a single father who has custody over my two boys, I found out that the their school let their mother come visit them without my permission and she ate lunch with them (she went to ask them to tell daddy to let mommy come back home to stay with them). I went off on the school, the only thing they said was “well she is the mother”. But she is not listed on their contact form or title as their mother anywhere and also not suppose to be around them with court orders, without me present. What can I do about the school?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Okay. Thank you

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

You can supply the school with a copy of the court order showing that the boys' mother is not allowed to be with them without your supervision.

The school then must comply with the court order, and can deny the mother access to the school and to the boys on school property in the future.

You can also file a contempt motion with the family court, for the mother's violation of the court order. The judge can then schedule a contempt hearing and take the appropriate action from there to have the boys' mother correct her behavior and refrain from this type of behavior in the future.

Placing the children in the middle of a custody or visitation case, is not in their best interest with regards ***** ***** emotional health and welfare, and is not something that the court will take lightly.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

What if the school has this court order already on file?

You could potentially sue for negligence.

In order to win a negligence lawsuit, you need to prove damages as well. So if your children suffered emotional distress as a result of this incident, for example.

If this is something you'd be interested in pursuing, you can speak with a civil lawyer in your area about the possibility of filing a suit.

The elements of a negligence lawsuit are:

1. duty

2. breach of duty

3. causation

4. damages.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Thank you

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!