Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What are my rights after being married for 5 years? Done…

Customer Question
What are my rights...

What are my rights after being married for 5 years?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Done nothing. I am considering a separation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

NewJersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have both been divorced once before. I have two children 11 and 14. He has 3 sons one at home two out of house. we have had some marriage couseling to no avail. He has a personality problem maybe bipolar. Not accountable for his actions and verbal abuse.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

For marital assets the courts will equitably divide them which means a fair and just division, which may not be 50/50. Here is the statute that sets forth the factors the court will consider in dividing property.

Step parents have no obligation post separation to support step children.

One spouse may be entitled to alimony; generally that goes to the lower/non earning spouse and this statute sets forth the factors the court will consider.

Here is a great site for finding articles/forms re: divorce:

https://www.lawhelp.org/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have charged my credit card for the 5 dollars which I thought was all I had to pay. Now I see a $31 dollar amount charged to me. What the hell is that for? Credit back my charge or I will report you.to proper authorities

please contact customer service at

ww2.justanswer.com/help

as I am an individual contributor and don't have access to your credit card information.

I hope you found the above useful.

Thank you and take care

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer