Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I filed a paternity complaint with the courts 20 days ago…

Hello, I filed a paternity...
Hello, I filed a paternity complaint with the courts 20 days ago and the defendant, just now on the last day to respond to the courts has responded. In the response there are false accusations about me, and also he is requesting that I be responsible for his court costs. Months ago it was requested that he take the paternity test voluntarily and he denied the request on multiple occasions. We were together for 6 years and it was an abusive relationship. I currently have an order of protection against him, which in his response he claims that I lied about everything that I said when I filed to get the order of protection which is not true and I have valid proof. What is my next step after his response and what do I do about the false accusations he has made in the response?
3/20/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can contact clerk to set the suit for hearing.The court likely orders dna test and go from there.You don't necessarily need to address his response here.The bot***** *****ne in a paternity suit is he the bio dad and awarding him visitation and you child support.Take the high road here and move forward to trial.

You will get support here assuming he is the bio dad and they would set some kind of visitation.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you. In the hearing, will I need to address the claims against me and further prove why the testing is necessary? This case in quite unique. I am requesting a prenatal paternity test. The defendant is in the military and will likely be deploying before the birth of the child which will make the process of paternity establishment and eventually the request for child support to be completed. He is purposely delaying this process because he does not want to be financially responsible.

It is not a big deal to order prenatal paternity testing.You just have to dig in here and keep after him.I know how hard it is and frustrating but don't give up you deserve support here .Congrats on the baby I wish you only good things here.

Thank you very much! I will just have to be confident and push through this. I appreciate your responses. I will contact the courts to get dates for the hearing.

I wish you only good things here going forward.Thanks for the 5 stars at top of page.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer