Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm a legal guardian of my 13 year old daughter. Her father…

Customer Question
I'm a legal guardian...

I'm a legal guardian of my 13 year old daughter. Her father has never been in the picture and currently I have her in a medical facility bc she has been cutting .. while she has been in their she is receiving therapy and my parents have gone as far as to get it to where they are trying to get custody.. what are my options to protect my daughter

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I don't even know where to begin.. I'm single mom working a minimum wage job I don't have a lot of money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My parents aren't good people. They have lost both my brother and sister to states custody while we were growing up and are clearly unhealthy and can barely take care of them selves.. I have a sister who is stable and more than willing to help me get my daughter away from them. Without destroying my relationship with my daughter..

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Based on the information you've shared, it appears that you are taking the steps necessary to properly care for your daughter and to get her the help she needs in a difficult period in her life.

There's not much legally that can be done to stop her grandparents from attempting to petition the court for custody, however parental rights are very strong and in order to violate those it must be shown that you are either abusing or neglecting your child, and that it is in the best interest of the child to have her removed from your home and placed in your parents' home.

That is a rather high legal burden to meet.

If there is no evidence of abuse or neglect, and to the contrary, you have placed your daughter in therapy so she can have the help she needs to get healthy -- then your parents should not be able to prevail in court.

They can make the request, but a judge will not grant it if there is not substantive evidence of abuse, abandonment, or neglect.

The fact that your daughter may be struggling with some emotional or mental health issues right now is not a legal reflection on your parenting, but the fact that you have taken steps to get her the care and help she needs, is a positive reflection on your parenting.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones