Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am looking to get a passport for my son, he is 14 years…

Customer Question
I am looking to...

I am looking to get a passport for my son, he is 14 years old we live in Massachusetts, his father has never really been in his life never paid me a dime of child support, on the passport application it states that you need both signatures of both parents that are on the birth certificate. I read somewhere that in the state of Massachusetts if you were never married the mother gets sole custody of the child. Is this true as I need to get him a passport as we are traveling in August.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in MA family court?

I just filed a complaint for custody support today the problem is I have no idea where he lives a phone number nothing he doesn't work. He gets SSI I think.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know about the law in Massachusetts about being unmarried and having a child if the mother has sole custody

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is father name listed on birth certificate?
Awaiting your reply, thank you!