Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a 50 year old adult wants to start a personal

If a 50 year...

If a 50 year old adult wants to start a personal relationship with a 16 year old in Indiana (forget morality), just looking for the legal issue, is it a crime of any sort?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Indiana lawyer about this?

No, you are it. The 16 year old showed me a google like this one that says they are old enough to say yes to consensual sex at 16.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Your text wasn't helpful. Believe it or not, I have an old flip phone. I need a call or an email.

The age of sexual consent in Indiana is 16. That means that the law allows her to make up her own mind as to who she wants to have a sexual relationship with. So as long as the 16 year old is sexually interested in a 50-year-old man and any sex between them is consensual, they would be guilty of no crime in the state of Indiana.

OK, but is there any other "child interference" or parental rights law that the 50 year old could be violating for taking th eteenager to a nearby hotel or restaurant or movie, etc.?
I need more info than the 1 question already answered.

No, so long as you don't do anything like give her alcohol or cigarettes or drugs, or take her to clubs where she is supposed to be at least 18.

In other words, as long as you don't cause her to break any laws, you can take her to a hotel, restaurant of movie, or wherever you want. It's perfectly legal in Indiana.

You can't take her out of state because the fact that she's legal in Indiana doesn't mean she's legal everywhere else.

his/her parents can't do a thing about it if they find out and don't like it?

So long as she's willing you can't get charged with anything.

As to what her parents can do, they can do what parents have been doing since time immemorial. They can ground her, take away her privileges, forbid her from seeing you, send her out of town to live with a relative. But they can't arrest you for sleeping with her as long as she's willing.

Any change to that answer if the 16 year old is a "he?"

Nope. The age of consent applies equally to both genders. It's 16.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Thank you. I don't need to talk then. I will try and change your "grade" to a 5 star. Thanks, Tom