Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does a father who pays child support in the state of

Customer Question
Ma'am does a father...

Ma'am does a father who pays child support in the state of Illinois automatically get custody of daughter when mother is deceased or is there anyway that an 18 yr old sister can get custody or the grandmother?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in IL family court?

No nothing has been done yet my daughter just passed on the 13th of March and my daughter begged her daughter and I not to let her baby go with the father so I was trying to find out what needs to be done

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No is that what needs to be done contact a lawyer just checking to make sure she does not automatically go to him because he is father and pays child support

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not off hand except child support went through Illinois but they are living in Alabama

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/20/2018
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 1 month ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

Thank you for your question.

When one parent dies, the other parent has the right to custody of the child.

If the father agrees to let someone else have custody, that can be done. Otherwise, the grandparent or sister would have to show that the father is unfit as a parent in order to gain custody.

Was the custody order issued by a court in Illinois?

Would the father agree to let the sister or grandparent take custody?

How old is the child?

Ely, Counselor at Law