Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am being sued for contempt of court for violating the

Customer Question
I am being sued...

I am being sued for contempt of court for violating the father's visitation rights

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have been talking to several lawyers trying to figure out the best course of action

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The father said that he would not be able to visit with his son until further notice and disappeared for 6 months with no contact

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/19/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You want to cross move for sole custody if you dont have it and note that motion is being filed in bad faith since parent has made no effort for months and has abandoned the child.

can i be held in contempt for looking out for the best interest of my child

I see no basis. Nothing intentional, acting in good faith, and application for contempt by one who has been MIA is without basis

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

what exactly should I say to the judge without legal representation

The other parent has abandoned the child, and is now filing this motion in bad faith when he has shown no interest for months. shame on him.

would appreciate a 5 star rating for the answers.

at this point do i have any legal standing to take on getting full custody

Yes, good basis to pursue it and you may want to file that motion yourself given long absence!

Please rate me 5 stars for the answers. *****

okay but if the father has already filed a motion to hold me in contempt for revoking his visitation rights, how does that work

You file a separate motion, which hopefully the clerk can schedule for the same date.

Infolawyer, Lawyer