Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is Maryland Child Protective Services allowed to show up at…

Customer Question
Is Maryland Child Protective...

Is Maryland Child Protective Services allowed to show up at school and question my children without my consent?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in MD family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/19/2018
Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately yes, CPS actually is allowed to speak with your child at school without you present.

The reason for this is that CPS is interested in protecting children from any allegations of abuse, neglect, or other mistreatment, and a part of that process sometimes involves interviewing children privately.

School officials also have a legal duty to report any suspected abuse or neglect, and that sometimes results in situations where CPS may speak with a student at school.

Understandably that can be a frustrating situation for parents.

There are separate laws about CPS in your home.

You can refuse entry to your home if the CPS investigator does not have a court order, you can also refuse drug testing or other intervention without a court order.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Family Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 5 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!