Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is my ex-wife entitled to my social security benefits even…

Customer Question
Is my ex-wife entitled...

Is my ex-wife entitled to my social security benefits even though we've been divorced 14 years? We were married almost 10 and a half and I paid alimony for 9 years

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No papers filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Mo.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/19/2018
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

As long as your ex-wife is not currently married to someone else, she is entitled to seek Social Security benefits based on your prior marriage and your earnings record. It's not relevant how long you've been divorced - only that you were married more than 10 years and that she's currently unmarried.

What she gets is either half of your benefit, or the total benefit she's earned from working - whichever is more. This amount does not in any way affect the amount of money you'll receive. You'll still get your full benefit payment.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 29 days ago

Do you have any questions about this?

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer