Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What can I file with the court to enforce joint custody

right to my child when...
What can I file with the court to enforce joint custody right to my child when my exwife lives in another state with child and refuses to let me see my kid? Also, is it something that would need to be filed in the state where the child was born, where I live now, or where they mother and child are living?
3/19/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

When you say "enforce joint custody right" what do you mean? Is there a parenting order in place with a particular schedule?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. There is no order in place. We did not have anything to that effect in our divorce settlement.

Okay, I see. So in that case you'll need to file a motion to establish a parenting time schedule if the other parent won't agree to one outside of court. You'd want to file in the state that heard the original case unless you and the other parent are living in a state that is different than the state that issued the original order/divorce decree - in which case you can file in your state (but the case would need to be transferred to the new state which means the court would need to agree to transfer it). The state where the child was born wouldn't much matter; what matters is what state issued the original decision and if that's different from where you and the mom and the child live now.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Thanks so much for your rating!
And, just for future reference, I want you to have a way to get back to me directly (if you want). If you need anything and you want to reach me you can do so by clicking HERE or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney