Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my child was born in CA, child's mother lives in CO, and…

If my child was born...
If my child was born in CA, child's mother lives in CO, and I live in Hawaii where can I file for a petition for paternity order? Can I file in either of the three jurisdictions, and if not then where?
3/19/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Where is the child living now? In CO with the mother?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Child is with mother in CO and was born in CA.

Ok, where the child was born is not legally relevant now.. It is only the state where you, the mother and the child are that counts..

.

So you can file in HI or CO as either state would have jurisdiction to hear the case..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Barrister, Lawyer