Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a ex that promise to help with financial help after

Customer Question
Can a ex that...

Can a ex that promise to help with financial help after divorce be taken to civil court for not helping I am disabled and older and he out in a letter he would help, now changed his mind

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not since divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is able to help and have checks to show he has been. He is financial able and I can't make it without help

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/19/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

were there any court orders re: alimony?

He put in writing he would help after divorce was final. I have letter

Was that incorporated into a court order?
Did the divorce address spousal support?

No.
We went back together after divorce and he gave me letter he would help
Not together anymore
Is there anything that could be filed to make him ? I have cancelled checks where he was helping

Thank you;

in order for a contract to be binding there must be an offer and an acceptance, along with "consideration". This means each party gave up something in order to obtain something from the other party, and changed their legal position; as such gifts of future money, for no consideration, generally will not be found to be binding.

However the divorce court typically retains jurisdiction over support issues so the requesting party may petition the court and seek a spousal support order based on current circumstances and the note and canceled checks can be used to show the other party felt it was appropriate/necessary.

I thought there was no ailmony in Texas. Could I still try and get support?

There is alimony; the proper term is "maintenance" - please see here

Thanks

You are most welcome;

if no further questions kindly rate 5 stars if you feel I have earned it. Thanks!