Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My dad passed away almost 11 years ago and my brother has…

Customer Question
My dad passed away...

My dad passed away almost 11 years ago and my brother has had his ashes well my brother is now in prison for 4 half years and his girlfriend is refusing to give me my dads ashes is there anything i can do legally to get my dads ashes?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have my birth certificate with my dads name on it and i can get his death certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that im aware of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/19/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; was the other son ever given legal possession (via a will, probate proceeding or other court order)?