Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My mother in law wants to quitclaim land to my husaband (her…

My mother in law...

My mother in law wants to quitclaim land to my husaband (her son), myself and her daughter. Purpose being she doesn't want his children from previous marriage to get land should he predecessors her. Can this be done?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No. She came is in poor health, they children stole a lot of money from her and it was decided they weren't to get anything else.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Arkansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can the deed be worded half to my husband and me and half to her daughter

3/19/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Sure, she can deed the property over to whoever she wants at any time.. She would just have a new deed drafted up from her as the Grantor over to you, husband and her daughter as the Grantees. Once the deed is signed and notarized, it is recorded in the land records office to complete the transfer.

.

Any local real estate attorney or title/closing company can prepare the deed for around $100-150.. A title company or closing company will likely be cheaper and faster if time is critical and can help get it recorded..

.

.

thanks

Can we draw up the quit claim deed? Does it have to be filed immediately? One of the children works at the courthouse and we prefer not to have common knowledge of what she is doing
No on phone call

I tend to discourage people drafting their own deeds simply because if you don't do it right, it can result in a defective deed that is void or has to be corrected later at a much greater cost...

.

But yes, legally you can draft your own deed if you choose to do so..

.

And no, while most deeds are filed to put the world on notice of the transfer, the deed is valid as soon as it is signed and notarized..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Thank you. You answered my question. We can simply hold on to the deed until the time comes. There is nothing else that would cause her to have to probate a will.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

. .

.

Thanks much