Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Divorced in 2015 in Tennessee and my ex just started her 1st…

Divorced in 2015 in Tennessee...
Divorced in 2015 in Tennessee and my ex just started her 1st full-time job and she enrolled in health insurance for our two minor daughters. The MDA or final divorce decree is worded that we're responsible 50/50 for their health insurance costs. She is refusing to provide me any proof of the enrollment, meaning a pay stub that shows the deduction or where she signed up for the health insurance at the first of the year during the enrollment period which typically has the amount listed. So is she able to tally this up where I would have to pay a lump sum at the end of the year because she is not cooperating. I've asked her about it three times this year and she has started mentioning it is going to be a large amount. I'd like to pay it monthly like I pay the child support. Do I have any recourse? Please advise. Thank you
3/19/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

I hate to say this because unless you're going to do it alone it'll cost you money, but this is squarely the sort of thing that people file motions with the family court about that. You can ask the court to compel or require her to disclose the health insurance amount so that you can pay it monthly or at least be able to put money aside to pay it at the end of the year if that's what is agreed to. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Thanks so much for your rating. If you need anything at all in the future please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney