Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex and I divorced in Arapahoe County and the divorce

My ex and I...

My ex and I divorced in Arapahoe County and the divorce order was "guaranteed". At the time of the divorce I was a professional making good money. For the last three years, I have been on Social Security disability and have exhausted my means to pay my ex. What can be done? I have very little means to afford representation but on the other hand do not want to be in contempt. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

None yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California. My divorce was finalized in Colorado

3/19/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

In case like this, litigants go back to court and file a motion to modify (alimony/child support/whatever financial obligations you have to your ex). In your motion you'd show that you were making X when the court ordered you to pay and now you're making Y (or nothing at all) and simply can't afford it. You'd need to provide evidence regarding your income - how long you've been making that amount and how long you're expecting to making that much - as well as what your expenses are. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
How can I as an individual get that done? I understand file a motion but I can’t fly out there to do that. I must need to get a court date ??

Yes, the way it works is you would prepare a motion, file it (you can mail it in) and then "serve" it on the other party by mailing it to them. In your motion you would ask for a court date - or you would ask for it to be decided on the filing itself but to be honest it's unlikely to be decided just on the papers themselves.

You can also hire an attorney to represent you in Colorado - OR you can seek to have the case transferred to your current state but if your ex still lives in Colorado she will certainly contest that.

Some courts also occasionally do phone hearings for unique situations but that is by no means guaranteed especially if there is no active case pending.

There must be specific forms? Sounds like I still need to go there. How can I get this moved to Calif where we both reside now? How much would you charge to handle this?

Okay, so since you both live in CA now, then you'd file with the CO court to transfer the case to CA and you'd file your motion in CA when the case is transferred over there. You'd need to start by contacting the CO court and getting their paperwork for transferring the case to CA.

I would say it would be roughly a $3k to $5k charge to get something like this handled - but each attorney does it differently. If you're looking for an attorney to handle this www.martindale.com would be the place to look - since you can search by state and by specialty (family law).