Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex served me with a Motion to Modify parenting time. I…

My ex served me...

My ex served me with a Motion to Modify parenting time. I can’t afford a lawyer. What forms do I have to fill out to file a response.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet, we currently have a parenting plan. Which makes me the primary care giver. He is taking me back to court to make him primary care giver stating that me irresponsible because I’m occassionly late picking up our daughter on t

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

My pick up times.

3/18/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. You'll need to file an "Answer" to the motion. Some states actually have forms available online for people who are representing themselves. What state is this in?

Colorado

Thank you. Please just give me a few minutes to see if I can locate a specific form for you to use.

Ok; thank you! He also served me with a Parenting Plan and a Stipulation Regarding Parenting Time Modification. Will I have to fill those also?

I appreciate your patience.

The form you need to file is the Response to Motion For ________ (and then you would fill in whatever the name of the motion was, e.g. "Response to Motion for Modification of Parental Responsibility").

It's form JDF 1315. The Colorado Courts actually put it on their website, you can find it here. Here are the instructions on how to file the response. You'll file the original with the court (there's a filing fee) and send a copy to the other party. That's all you have to do. Just make sure you file that response within 21 days of receipt of the motion.

I am request that parenting plan and stipulation regarding parenting time remain unchanged."

And in the next section:

"My reasons are that there has not been a significant change of circumstances since the original parenting plan and it is in the best interest of the minor children that they remain living with me."

Being late a few times for pick up doesn't warrant a change in custody. That can happen for a variety of reasons -maybe the kids were slow getting ready. Maybe you got stuck in traffic. Maybe you got sick and had to go to the doctor before you could get there, etc. A modification requires a significant change for a court to grant such a change, because judges are reluctant to "rock the boat" and disrupt children who are otherwise doing okay in their current environment.

Ok; thank you very much.

You're very welcome. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer