Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can my finances be affected if my husbands baby mother puts…

Can my finances be...

Can my finances be affected if my husbands baby mother puts him on child support

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No I don’t know where to start. I’m just trying to be prepared if so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s about it

3/18/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

.

No, not directly. You have no legal obligation to pay anything to support his children. So any support award would only be based on your husband's income and the mother's income and any division of custodial time directly..

.

The way they could be indirectly affected is if a judge rules that since you and husband share expenses, like food, utilities, housing, etc. instead of maintaining two separate households like you did before marriage, then he might have more disposable income that can go towards child support.

.

But that can't directly affect your finances..

.

.

thanks

Ok thanks that helps a lot. We are expecting twins and things may go left once everyone knows! Will the court also look at the fact that he has other children ?

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

And congratulations on the twins!

.

And yes, the court does look at the fact that he has other children to support in any calculation and it would typically reduce the amount per child simply because he only has so much income to divide up..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer
sir will do thanks you again

Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus, it is greatly appreciated!