Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son has been charge with a felony. Court lawyer told him…

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been charge with a felony. Court lawyer told him to plea a year in jail and 10 years probation. I told him plea first offender for the felony and drug court. The lawyer said it was a bad idea. I told my son if u think u cant do first ofender what makes him think he can do 10 yeras probation.

Lawyer's Assistant: What was the conviction for exactly? Have all appeals been exhausted?

He had two guns legal in his name but he also had weed in a big jar. He ran

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

He turn hissmelf in took all tge charger on himself to clear his girlfriend

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes he needs drug court he need help with smoking weed. He is a good kid just cant leave the smoking weed alone

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Calhoun
Georgia
3/18/2018
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

He was arrested 6 years ago at 18 for a half a joint probbation and he did complet it, now he is 22 has no fellonies and jail i feel will make him a better criminal instead of helping him. He needs drug court some type of councling he needs help how do i help him in this he has a state appointed lawyer who is no help

The problem with Drug Court -- and I'm a fan of it, in general -- is that it is very difficult. You have to really want to succeed at it. Most people who do, tend to stay straight and not reoffend. The stats for Drug Court are pretty amazing. But around 35% or more will fail to complete the program.

Program failures get treated very harshly. That's part of the deal you make to get into Drug Court. So he'd be turning down a year in jail, during which he could get in-house treatment, in order to face at least twice that much prison if he messes up on Drug Court.

I don't know your son. I don't know whether he's as committed to cleaning up his act as you are committed for himi. If he is sincerely ***** ***** helping himself, I'm with you. Drug Court is the better choice, so long as he understands his risks and thinks the risks are worth it.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

What happen to $39 for a call and u did not answer all my questions i also ask about first offenders plea i got no response for that. This was actually my first question

Calls are a premium service requiring an additional fee. Chat is what you get for the price you've already paid. If you have paid for a phone call, the site would provide me with authorization to make the call. They have not done so. If you believe you paid for a call, contact customer service at***@******.*** so they can straighten that out. I cannot call until I see something on my end from the site telling me I'm authorized to contact you.

As for first offender, the way you worded it, I thought that you were talking about drug court being a condition of probation as a first offender. If you are talking about straight probation and First Offender treatment, that would certainly be a good deal. On the other hand, if he is using drugs and not interested in getting help for that, the odds of him violating his probation are high.

In the end, the same answer applies. Drug Court or First Offender treatment will give him a clean record if he finishes the program so long as he succeeds. If he fails, he's going to do more than a year and he'll do state rather than county time.

Again, you know your son much, much better than either I or your public defender does. If he's sincerely ***** ***** make a change, of course, he should take the deal that keeps him out of jail and ask his public defender to get one of the other for him. If he's not, the year and in-house treatment is a much safer option for him.