Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can a Child Protective Sercice LSW asked me very personal…

Customer Question
Can a Child Protective...

Can a Child Protective Sercice LSW asked me very personal medical/mental questions. I am the sole legal guardian of my eight year old neice. I do not believe the child told the teacher she was being sexually abuse. We believe the child's mom called it in.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

The social worker just showed up late Tuesday with this acquistion. The child came out from meeting with the CPS lady and said to me on the phone "She asked such stupid questions". she was a rude lady but didn't remove the child so she herself wasn't sure. We have an appointment with our custody lawyer on Wednesday about what rights the mother has since she's already been declared an unfil mother to my neice's brother. I was just wondering if they can come in and accusse you of mental probems and asked if my sister was sure she didn't and only had diabetes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Louisiana

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if CPS is investigating a case of abuse, they have a right to investigate their case and if that involves asking for medical or mental health information they can do so. HOWEVER, keep in mind these social workers are some of the most incompetent, negligent and abusive people you will ever deal with and this is why they HATE it when parents get attorneys, because they cannot bully them any longer. You do not have to answer any of her questions until you get to your lawyer and then your lawyer can be with you to speak with them and that is what you need to do.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Are the Child Protection Services lady able to tell the adult who made the call?

Thank you for your reply

No, CPS cannot disclose who made the complaint.