Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is it possible to obtain a marriage license with a

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to obtain a marriage license with a backdated

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Nothing yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

3/17/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

A marriage license can only be dated with the date on which it is issued. This is done b/c most states require you to wait a requisite number of dates prior to marrying and backdating the license would allow someone to circumvent that requirement. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

What about in the event of a lack of license at time of marriage, but good faith belief the certificate was sufficient. Not until many years later is it learned a license is required? Established life and family to support claim of living as a married couple.
*Note: this is not for contemplation of divorce, only for purposes of family legitimacy.

I really am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I’m afraid if you didn’t have a valid marriage license then there’s no way to backdate your marriage license to make it valid. Even if you do have or did have a good faith belief that the license was valid. I really wish I could tell you otherwise, believe me. I have an ethical duty to tell you the truth, even if it is bad news :(

Ok thank you.
It was my understanding that on a putative spouse basis a Court Order Delayed Certificate of Marriage may be appropriate or possible.
Appreciate your time.

In a case like this it absolutely does not hurt to try. You very literally have nothing to lose by trying, especially if there was no fraud or deceit on your part.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney