Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

This is regarding a Texas Divorce. My wife an I were in the…

Customer Question
This is regarding a Texas...
This is regarding a Texas Divorce. My wife an I were in the process of getting divorced last year . In May we signed a mediated settlement agreement after we went through mediation with our prospective attorneys. We then, tried to work things out and Non Suited the Divorce. Six months later brings to today, we have decided its not working. We have now drawn up a new agreement between ourselves as we didn't want to drop another 25K in attorney's fees. The document has been signed and dated by both of us. The plan in to deliver it to a divorce attorney to draw up the final decree. My question is: Is the agreement legally binding? I am fine with it, just concerned she might try to change it. Also to note she drafted the agreement and sent it to me for my signature, I signed then returned to her.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer replied 3 months ago
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today - Generally speaking, that document is not legally binding until the court has entered it and your marriage is legally terminated. Because it speaks to things that have not yet happened, as you are still legally married.