Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm currently going through a divorce and just changed

Hi There. I'm currently...

Hi There. I'm currently going through a divorce and just changed attorneys. What complicates my case a bit, is that my husband (son to be ex) was arrested in 2017 and is facing 15 years in prison.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

My divorce attorney was going after the criminal side to try to show that he has no moral turpitude. My new attorney is questioning why he suppeoned all of these people who are part of the criminal case and have nothing to do with the matrimonial part.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Papers were filed with the court in October 2016. I have spent over 70K on this divorce. I am in no better a position than I was.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Outside of the fact that he has acknowledged to me that things are no better than we started and I have an email from him saying, I have never seen anything like this. I almost feel as if he wanted me to fire him and that he was out of his league.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am in NY

Yes, your new attorney is correct. It needs to be known how these people are even relevant to the divorce and why they need to be called to testify. I say this because if the divorce was contested, the evidence and/or witnesses presented would need to be relevant to whatever the pending issues and matters are. Even if it was shown he has no moral turpitude, he would have needed to show how/why this may entitle you to something or more of something, when dividing the marital assets or debts.

I would prefer not to spend the additional amount for a call.

No problem.

I shared my response above. Did you see it?

what kind of attorney do I reach out to if I want to sue him for gross negligence?

You would go after the attorney for malpractice and breach of contract, so you would want an attorney who handles malpractice claims. You can also file a complaint with the Bar against him if he took the case and did not know what he was doing.

Ok, thank you.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer