Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Husband was divorced from wife #2, still in post office.

Customer Question
Husband was divorced from...

Husband was divorced from wife #2, still in post office. Remarried, then was placed on postal disability. #2 wife sent letter demanding pasta; reirement pay, also wants military retirement pay, only military reserve component. Research I have been able to find states not eligible for military due to not married at least 10 years. Husband very ill, trying to relieve his mind.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

They were in Virginia, we now reside in North Carolina. She is still in Va.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

We got a letter from her yesterday dated March 11, she wants a proposal in writing in 14 days or "will take legal action". His divorce papers say nothing about her getting his pensions, but there was ?? another hearing that we have no documentation for. Husband adamant he didn't agree to any pensions split.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They had a son who is deceased. Is there any fee for this consult? He also was still in military after their divorce.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: Sue, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney

Hello, I’m here to help you today. I'm a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I'll review your question and be right back.

Yes, there is a fee for this consult. That is the provenance of the JA site. Experts are not involved in setting or collecting fees.

I am happy to help you if you want to proceed.

Sue

Can an ex-spouse married to army person less than 10 years get part of his military retirement? He was still in military after they divorced. Also, his postal disability was acquired after their divorce. Can she get part of those funds.
We'd rather see it in print.

Just to be clear, are you saying you'd like to see the JA costs in print before we proceed, or you'd like to see the military retirement eligibility in print before you respond to Wife #2's letter?

For JA costs, you can contact the site Moderator.

Sue

I will contact tomorrow. Will talk by phone but he's here now. I'll call in AM if possible before I have to get him up.

Because I'm not in a position to take a phone call, I can return you to the experts page. Would you like that?

Sue