Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I feel I am being blackmail for something some other gals…

Customer Question
I feel I am...

I feel I am being blackmail for something some other gals come to be with me did. they try to pick up a girl to bring with the to me without asking me if that is what I wanted they to do. It turns out the girl was only 16. And I have already paid the parents over $2000 by itune card to keep them from coming here to Indiana to arrest me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the blackmail charges?

Now one of the gals who was coming to me whosays she is a cop says the judge there may want me to pay more.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Indiana lawyer about this yet?

NO not yet.,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

You have fallen for a very popular blackmail scam. Nobody is going to come arrest you and no real police officer would ask someone who was supposedly a pedophile to send money to stop an arrest. If this were for real, you'd already be in jail.

I know you're worried, but you are not going to get arrested and you should not pay anyone money.

Unscrupulous people hover around on chat rooms and dating sites, and they lure in their victims by engaging them in sexual chat and/or exchanging explicit pictures or in setting up dates. Then, at some point later on, the target of the scam gets a phone call from a supposedly angry parent where he learns that the person he solicited is a minor. But what that so-called person wants is money or he claims he'll prosecute or publish the videos.

This is not the normal reaction of a family member when a child has really been violated.

This is simply a blackmail scam, and one should NEVER give into that.

If this sounds familiar, and we both know it does, then you need to block all contact with the so-called minor, her so-called father, and send no more money. The call from someone claiming to be a police officer was also a fake. None of them is really who and what they say they are. You are simply dealing with thieves.

In these scams, there really isn't any minor at all. It's all just a way to intimidate you to send them money. If you simply disappear, the scammers go away and move on to someone else, because it's not about reporting or exposing you but only about money.

As many times as we get a question like yours, we have yet to hear of a so-called family member who asked for money and who actually pressed charges. After all, the minor would be guilty of a crime as well. Her behavior was not legal either.

So, to recap -- the chances are 100% that there's no real minor here, no real police officer and no real parent.

It is not normal for a parent or an officer in this situation to be asking for money for any reason at all and certainly not in the form of iTunes cards. An actual angry parent would simply have simply gotten charges pressed.

It is all a fraud!! And you can google "sextortion blackmail scam" and see just how popular this is.

The fact is that you should NEVER pay a blackmailer, because they never strike just once. And if you pay them there will always be another money demand. Nothing they can do to you is worse than what you will do to yourself if you wire them any more money.

The FBI warns of this scam here:

https://www.fbi.gov/video-repository/newss-what-is-sextortion/view

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer