Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in County, my husband lives and has filed for a

Customer Question
Hello. I live in...

Hello. I live in Harris County, my husband lives and has filed for a divorce in the city of Dallas. Do I have to appear for the final decree?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

No. We both have signed divorce papers and waited 60/days.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No. He went to court last Friday. Then he told me I have to appear.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't have the time or money for a lawyer or to appear in court in Dallas.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. If the divorce is uncontested, only the person who filed for divorce will need to appear.

This means that either:

1. The person who does not appear will need to have signed and have notarized a Waiver of Citation or
  2. May have been served with citation and then signs the final divorce decree

As such, if this is done, you would not likely need to appear.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer