Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My two kids each have kids that they never told me about and…

Customer Question
My two kids each...

My two kids each have kids that they never told me about and I wont see my grandkids. do I have that right?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

This is the first time I have tried this

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Wis

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I want to see my grandkids

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
cal me at(###) ###-####
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

I'm very sorry to hear what happened.

In Wisconsin, the courts strongly protect the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit, without outside interference. The statutes do permit grandparents, or those who have had a “parent-like” relationship with the child, to petition the court for visitation. This is only true, however, if there is an action affecting the family (divorce, legal separation, paternity) pending.

If there is no action pending and the parents are still married, grandparents are not allowed to petition the court for visitation. Unless the parents are unfit or incompetent, there is no recourse for grandparents who want to see their grandchildren. In those instances, your best course of action as a grandparent is to repair or attempt to repair the circumstances which led to the breakdown in your relationship with your child or grandchild in the first place.

Please call me so I can talk to you about this I've never been through this before it's been 15 years since I've seen my kids and I just would like to know my legal rights and I live in Wisconsin

I don't know if you could see my answer I posted (our replies crossed). Here it is again:

In Wisconsin, the courts strongly protect the rights of parents to raise their children as they see fit, without outside interference. The statutes do permit grandparents, or those who have had a “parent-like” relationship with the child, to petition the court for visitation. This is only true, however, if there is an action affecting the family (divorce, legal separation, paternity) pending. If there is no action pending and the parents are still married, grandparents are not allowed to petition the court for visitation. Unless the parents are unfit or incompetent, there is no recourse for grandparents who want to see their grandchildren. In those instances, your best course of action as a grandparent is to repair or attempt to repair the circumstances which led to the breakdown in your relationship with your child or grandchild in the first place.

In other words, there is no legal right to see your grandchildren. I'm sorry I cannot tell you otherwise.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.