Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was wondering if Texas would recognize an out of state…

Customer Question
I was wondering if Texas...
I was wondering if Texas would recognize an out of state divorce?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay

Yes absolutely they give full faith and credit to out of state marriages and divorces.They would recognize it under the law.Wouldn't be a problem you just need certified copy of decree here and court would take legal notice.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay is there a waiting period for me to go to t exas to get married since I just got divorced within the last few weeks?

It's 30 days here.

An exception to this rule is if you desire to remarry the person you just divorced, you are not required to wait thirty days. If you desire to marry a person who is not your previous spouse before the thirty day waiting period after divorce in Texas expires, you must make a special request that the court waive the waiting period. In an original petition for divorce, a party may request that the thirty day prohibition against marriage after a divorce is finalized be waived.

This is stated in the Texas Family Code, section 6.802, as follows:

Waiver Of Prohibition Against Remarriage: “For good cause shown, the court may waive the prohibition against remarriage provided by this subchapter as to either or both spouses if a record of the proceedings is made and preserved or if findings of fact and conclusions of law are filed by the court.”

If granted for good cause, you will receive a waiver from the court allowing you to remarry prior to the expiration of thirty days. What constitutes good cause depends on your specific facts and circumstances. A common example of good cause is that your new betrothed is active military and is set to be deployed prior to the expiration of the waiting period.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

You can remarry in Las Vegas if you don't want to wait.Say a weekend deal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any other state that doesn't recognize an out of state divorce before 30 days?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay and one more question. Is there anyway I can get in trouble if I get married in a different state since I live in Oklahoma if I don't wait the full 6 months?

No people do it all the time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thank you

You can do it in say Hawaii ,Nevada all the time.Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer