Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Not sure if this is the right category...my mother is 98 and…

Not sure if this is...
Not sure if this is the right category...my mother is 98 and lives in manhattan and is in need of long term care facility...does medicaid or medicare assist in this....she has assets of about 200k...she is becoming extremely forgetful and unaware of what goes on around her.....currently I have a care giver stay with her 8 hours a day but she needs more care..
3/17/2018
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

She would have to spend down the $200k for her care in order to qualify for medicaid here.You have to be sick enough and poor enough in plain English.She cannot gift anything away but must spend it down.

At this point the first thing I would do is go prepay a funeral.Some 90% of nursing home residents live 5 years or less.So its a good thing to do now.You can ask her if she has any thoughts on it while she is able.

And then work on liquidating her assets for nursing home care as long as you can here.It will last awhile honestly.Private care $8-$9k a month or so in your state.

Medicare does not cover this either.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
How far is the look back period

Five years its too late for her to shelter much.

Resource limits

https://www.familyassets.com/nursing-homes/resources/medicaid/new-york

I would quietly take out about $150 -$175 in cash from her account each week for "spending money since she is private pay.Don't do the same amount , same days, etc be a little irregular.

Get you a safety box here and put it in it in your name and social.Its off the grid and out of her name.Medicaid looks for large gifts here.Call it poor mans estate planning.

Just understand they look at five years of bank statements.Honestly she may last as private pay it depends on how much care she needs here.

Let me know if you have more, prayers to you here.