Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I sue an ex for 2000 worth of stuff I bought her while…

Customer Question
Can I sue an...

Can I sue an ex for 2000 worth of stuff I bought her while we was going together?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I'm just staring.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It was for a couch and a computer.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

I am going to assume by "ex" you mean ex girlfriend and not ex spouse. If you bought the items and gave them to her then it will probably be seen as a gift. A gift is considered a transfer of property from one person to another without valuable consideration (money or something else of value). When a gift is given then it become the other person's property and the give does not have a right to get the property back.

Now, can you sue her? Yes, but unless there is some evidence that these items where given under some agreement that she would pay you back or some other agreement other than just a gift to her from you, it is unlikely that you would succeed in getting them back or getting the value if those items. If you want to proceed you can file a smalls claims action. Here's a link to the process in Illinois:

http://www.ag.state.il.us/consumers/smlclaims.html

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

If you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, please accept the answer, and provide a rating (5 stars would be appreciated). It cost you nothing additionally to do so. The experts who answer your questions are independent contractors, and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for our responses. Thanks, ***** ***** hope everything works out to your satisfaction.