Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How does a custodial parent keep receiving support from the…

how does a custodial parent...
how does a custodial parent keep receiving support from the non custodial parent even after not being able to provide proof to the court that the child is not enrolled in college or has never been enrolled??
3/17/2018
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Generally support ends when the child reaches 18 and is no longer enrolled in school. Child support can be awarded beyond 18 for certain circumstances, usually if the child has special and or extraordinary physical, medical or psychological needs. Support can be awarded to pay for college expenses. The answer of when the support should end would be determined by the initial support order, and any modifications to the support order. So for example, the support could have normally ended when the child was supposed to turn 18 and out of school but the parties could have agreed to it ending at a later date. Finally, the court has discretion to change when the support ends so even if non of the above is the case, the court could modify the normal ending date for support a based on its discretion. Especially if the parent seeking the extended support can demonstrate a compelling reason to do so. Another consideration is where there any arrearages caused by missed payment, and these additional payments are catching up for those arrearages.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer