Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was involved in a recent family court hearing. I was

Hello,I was involved in a...
Hello,I was involved in a recent family court hearing. I was ordered to pay a portion of the attorney's fees of the opposing. The verbiage appears as follows: "...Respondent shall pay Petitioner the sum of $1,034.00 for attorney fees." So this is stating I have to pay the petitioner directly. What is the appropriate way to ask for proof that the petitioner paid the attorney that amount before I make any type of payment?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The order is to pay the petitioner (the opposing party). So not the attorney...the party that was in the suit with you.
There is no requirement, based on the information you have provided, that the petitioner share any payment information with you. You could ask them, but if they refuse, you still have to pay.
If you believe that the amount is incorrect, you need to file a request with the court to reopen this matter.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

They do not have to prove that they paid this amount to the attorney at all?
The court did not give me a deadline to pay the full amount. I have to make payments, is there any formal way to track the payments? Is there a typical time frame a court would expect it to be paid back?

IF the order was issued? Then you are past the point where proof is required. Typically this would come after a "motion" by the other party, where you would have a right to respond. If that never happened? You can, through your attorney, file a motion with the court to reopen the matter.

The payment is due on the issue of the order. IF you do not pay, the other party could bring a motion to hold you in contempt.

As for tracking, a check can be tracked through the bank that issues and pays the check.

P. Simmons, Lawyer