How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N.Brown ESQ Your Own Question
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 218
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N.Brown ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Unmarried mother of newborn child, kicked out of home by

Customer Question

Unmarried mother of newborn child, kicked out of home by child's father in January. In March, after being served with child support papers from AG for 3/14 appearance, Father steals the child the week before court and will not let mother have any contract. On 3/14 the judge set a new hearing for temporary orders for 4/11. Henderson County Texas. Can she get attorney help? Doesn't Texas Penal Code state "unmarried mother has sole custody until someone files for custody?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in TX family court?
Customer: No papers filed yet. I'm trying to decide if we should go pro se and get the forms to file or what is best.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No. Trying to locate
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Father's 1st baby mother assaulted new mother (2nd baby Mother) and plead guilty to get newborn's mother to leave first home of child.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Wendy replied 8 months ago.
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I would like to have an expert answer. However, I paid $42 for your response. I don't want to do that again.
Expert:  N.Brown ESQ replied 8 months ago.

Texas penal code addresses criminal matters. The situation described would be addressed in Family Court. Below is a copy of the relevant statute and a link to the Texas Family Code Chapter 153:

Sec. 153.131. PRESUMPTION THAT PARENT TO BE APPOINTED MANAGING CONSERVATOR. (a) Subject to the prohibition in Section 153.004, unless the court finds that appointment of the parent or parents would not be in the best interest of the child because the appointment would significantly impair the child's physical health or emotional development, a parent shall be appointed sole managing conservator or both parents shall be appointed as joint managing conservators of the child.(b) It is a rebuttable presumption that the appointment of the parents of a child as joint managing conservators is in the best interest of the child. A finding of a history of family violence involving the parents of a child removes the presumption under this subsection. So a unmarried mother is not considered to have sole custody. Generally, the court's presumes it is in the best interest of the children for both parents to have joint custody (conservatorship). Any presumption is a rebuttable one, meaning if there is evidence that joint custody would not be in the best interest of the child, then the court can award sole custody. History of domestic violence within the last two years is evidence that the court will strongly consider to not order joint custody. The decision to handle the matter on your own or hire an attorney is not an easy one. If the matter is not contested, and it's likely that the parties can come to an agreement, then that can usually be handled on your own. But if there is no agreement, and it is likely to be a contested matter requiring hearings, and gathering of evidence that may be more than a self-represent party can handle. The courts have a lot of assistance for self represented parties. Feel free to speak to them first to get an idea of what would be required, and then follow up with an attorney if necessary.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

Expert:  N.Brown ESQ replied 8 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, please accept the answer, and provide a rating (5 stars would be appreciated). It cost you nothing additionally to do so. The experts who answer your questions are independent contractors, and customer ratings are the only way we are compensated for our responses. Thanks, ***** ***** hope everything works out to your satisfaction.