Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex was ordered to pay equalization payments to me for 10…

Customer Question
My ex was ordered to...
My ex was ordered to pay equalization payments to me for 10 years with interest.He now wants to pay me off after 4 years but not the interest for the rest of the 10. I only did this to get the additional interest and do not want to take 37,000 less. Is he able to do this?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/17/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

My ex was ordered to pay equalization payments to me for 10 years with interest.

He now wants to pay me off after 4 years but not the interest for the rest of the 10. I only did this to get the additional interest and do not want to take 37,000 less. Is he able to do this?

Response: No. He must pay the interest associated with the payments. Otherwise, you can file contempt action against him for violation of the Court Order.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Even if it says no prepayment penalty

I am sorry, could you clarify?

The Order states that he could pay it off without pre-payment penalty?

Payment in full on this note may be made at any time without pre payment penalty

Thank you for the information:

Response: Then he will not be in violation of the Order for paying off the debt in four years without the rest of the interest.