Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 12 year old son and my divorced husband have been through…

Customer Question
My 12 year old...

My 12 year old son and my divorced husband have been through therapy and the dad is verbally and emotionally abusive. My son wants to live with me. After therapy and an amicus keeping records they have jointly agreed that my ex husband cannot co-parent and my son is miserable to the point of saying he wants to kill himself when he knows it’s time to go to his adoptive dad. He wants to live with me. We have joint custody.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Just divorce papers. Does he need an attorney to represent him?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

12 year old son (his adoptive father and I are divorced) has been through 3 years of therapy and an amicus is following this child custody case between me and his father. The Amicus and therapist have agreed there is little hope for reconciliation. What do we do now ? Get him his own attorney?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago
Michael Bradley

so there is no custody order in place?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joint custody. Dad is to pay for Insurance,
mother is to choose Insurance, split medical bills and cost of living.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dad bullies adopted son, is verbally abusive, can be physically abusive. Son is so scared of him he was having panic attacks and vomiting. Psychiatrist suggested since child was so anxious that he be put on 5mg a day of Celexa (an) antidepressant and dad said no. The therapist and Amicus agreed he should not have to stay at his dad’s during his time of custody but the Amicus doesn’t have time to be the lawyer. My question is does the boy need his own lawyer or to go to a
forensic psychologist?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That’s all I have.
Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

the typical answer is no the child does not need an attorney but in your case I would suggest
that he gets an attorney or guardian ad litem (GAL) who will look out for his interests and his alone

I feel bad that your son has to go through all of that

I would also file a support modification and request that the joint legal be revoked

Family Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 month ago

your son should not be terrified like that, especially by someone who is supposed to be his parent

Ely, Counselor at Law