Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Help with my divorce

Help with my divorce
3/16/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to get my divorce finalized and I just want to make sure I have everything I need before going in front of the judge again and look like a fool. I guess my question is, what all do I need to say to the judge for him to sign the paperwork? It's an uncontested divorce, no children and no assets together

Did you already go in front of the judge about your case?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he has already determined that my husband and I are incompatible. He said that I didn't say anything about the jurisdictional questions that I needed to know and that's what stopped him from signing the papers

Okay. What are the jurisdictional questions in your divorce? Does the court HAVE jurisdiction over your spouse? I'm assuming you have served your spouse if the court has determined that they two of you are incompatible (although, to be honest, I'm not quite sure *why* a judge would be saying that at all)...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not sure either. Yes he has signed is waiver to appear in front of the judge.

I don't know what jurisdictional issues there can be in your case other than PERSONAL jurisdiction over the two of you - which I'm guessing the court has (and in any case you said your spouse accepted service and didn't contest the court's jurisdiction) and SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION - it's a divorce case in a divorce court. So there's your jurisdiction. But the court may want you to state that you have met the residency requirement for filing - and so has your spouse - so if you haven't done so already you'll want to let the court know that you have (I'm assuming you have...) Other than that, since it's an uncontested case the judge just wants to hear that the two of you have decided everything / that there's nothing in dispute (no child support, no alimony, you've decided on how you want assets distributed). Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

------------

Reminder: Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No ma'am I'm just trying to figure out what I'm gonna need to say to this judge again before going in their and looking like an idiot again.

The judge just wants to make sure you check all his boxes... meaning there's nothing in dispute (money, property, child support, alimony, asset distribution... some of these overlap some others) and that the court has jurisdiction (you've lived in the county and in the state for the requisite period of time) and that's really it. It's uncontested - so that makes it a relatively straight-forward divorce. If you have ANY additional questions, just ask :) I'll be happy to answer them! If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. 5 STARS is always appreciated!

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney