Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter is not able to make child support payments at…

My daughter is not...

My daughter is not able to make child support payments at this time as she is suffering from mental and physical issues. She doesn't have a job and can't afford a lawyer but is there anything she could do to contact the courts and ask for time to get back on her feet? She is almost 3 months behind. She lives in Nebraska Thank you, ***** ***** Mom

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in NE family court?

Papers WERE filed for her 3rd baby boy only. The State has the baby. This case is not related in any way to the $352 child support for the 2 older boys. Her court appointed lawyer for this baby boy only asked that her $97 a month for him be terminated and this was granted. I asked if having that child support terminated could be used to help get the 352 child support either lowered or terminated. The court clerk said no. She has no money for a lawyer. I will be paying for this consultation with my credit card.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No.

3/16/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

are you asking if she can seek modification?

but without hiring a lawyer??

Possible, and would need to visit clerks office and fill out a motion seeking such relief, outlining her hardship which a court would consider!

I will go to the clerk's office. What type of form should I request??

Motion for modification of support obligations.

If my answer is acceptable, kindly reply "acceptable"

ACCEPTABLE.THANK YOU!!

Thank you. Kindly take a moment to rate me 5 stars by clicking on that rating button.

Infolawyer, Lawyer