Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can the police force my ex to give me my son if he is not on…

Customer Question
Can the police force...

Can the police force my ex to give me my son if he is not on the birth certificate?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have 3 kids but my ex did not sign the birth certificate for one of my kids. we used to live together but now he took my 3 kids and wont give them back I submitted the paper work for custody yesterday so it will be sometime before we can go to court

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

In my opinion law enforcement is reluctant to remove a child unless they have specific evidence that the child is in danger. So if it's just a matter of one parent not being willing to return a child, they would likely decline to act, and refer the matter to court. Call the local police department where the child is right now. Explain the situation, and she how they will respond

Sounds like you did the right thing in the meantime filing for custody, you should also look and see if there are provisions for filing an emergency request in the meantime for temporary orders. Generally with respect to emergency temporary orders, the court is not likely going to remove a child from a parent unless the court believes the child is in harms way. If a court date has not yet been assigned then reach out to the court clerk responsible for scheduling and see if you can get the earliest possible hearing date.

I am sorry that you are going through this, please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.

is the answer no? I asking what is the law if the father is not on the birth certificate