Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am working on a partial property agreement. The property…

I am working on a...
I am working on a partial property agreement. The property that my husband is keeping is worth $20,000 more than the property that I am keeping. I don't want cash for the difference, I would like to protect some of my IRA. I currently have $80,000 more in IRA than he does. I'd like to use that $20,000 to offset the IRA equitable distribution. I am looking for the language for the agreement: "The $20,000 difference in property value will be made equal by way of a $20,000 offset in the IRA distribution for the wife" Does this make sense?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I would prefer you simply identify percentages from each asset to make it clearer how much is kept from each account by each.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is only a partial agreement. We will likely end up going to trial to decide the final property distribution for the IRA accounts, savings accounts, home equity and support.
This agreement is only for our personal property that we keeping. My husband is keeping $20,000 more in property than I am, and I'd like to offset that with a reduction in IRA distribution. I'm just struggling for the wording for the agreement.
I would simply agree that as to those 2 accounts how much is being retained. Your language is clear. Plain English suffices. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”

Great, kindly rate me 5 stars once for the answers.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer