Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am (son) executor of my Mom's family trust. I have

Customer Question
I am (son) executor...

I am (son) executor of my Mom's family trust. I have (3)three sister. My youngest sister has had substantial financial help from my Mom, since my Dad'd death in Nov 2009. I managed income property and her money accounts. Her worth is 4 mil. In Sept 2017 I took my mom to the estate attorney to have her modify the trust for a provision of 100K subtracted from my sister at the death of my mom. This is a amount that is half as much as she has received from my Mom over recent years. She also granted me Power of Attorney regarding her financials. In the last two weeks she has been diagnosed with Alzheimer' and will loose her Dr. Lic. She is 79 and her Mother lived until 95 and lives in her own home. My sister has recently gone through a divorce and has no net worth and still a 14 year old living with her.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Calif. How can I manage (hide) money that my mom cannot transfer to my sister so easily?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Given advice to my sister for creating a budget to live from and repeatedly (over 9 years) told my mom not to give her money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have spread out money accounts to brokerage, credit unions and Insurance but she is aware of them, but relies on me to handle it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You can place assets in trust. The trustee would manage and shields fr creditors and other claims.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
What kind of assets to keep my mom from giving to my sister. And I am a executor with limited POA concerning her financial. I can do real, tangible property transactions. stks & Bnds, commodity, banking, business operating transactions, Insurance, etc.. Are there books on this subject from Amazon and one's to listen on the subject.
I would retain an estate lawyer to place her assets within your poa in trust. Youccan be trustee and manage affairs for her benefit.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
You have not answer my question. My mom already has a Trust and attorney. The POA is in the trust. I am trying to further educate myself not hire a attorney. No, your reply is not acceptable. Take your $5 and I am done with you.
Good day Sir
You can further educate yourself on trust affairs and fiduciary duty by reviewing common law in your state using google scholar and inquiring with counsel as to specific issues. Have a wonderful weekend.