Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Married 14 years, pending divorce state of SC what benifits…

married 14 years, pending divorce...
married 14 years, pending divorce state of SC what benifits can I expect, health benifits big concerFemale of course
3/16/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If your husband was providing health benefits during the marriage, the judge can order him to continue paying for your insurance. The general rule of thumb is that he'd have to provide for about half the duration of the marriage. You can request longer if you don't have the ability to get insurance on your own.

On top of that, you're entitled to half of all assets acquired during the marriage. That includes half the equity in the marital home, half of your husband's retirement accounts, half of the money in any bank accounts, half the equity in any cars - and any other assets you have.

It is also possible to request alimony if you're not able to support yourself using your current income or if you didn't work during the marriage. Again, the judge would normally order support for about half the duration of the marriage, with the idea that you'd be able to become self sufficient in that time frame.

You'll also be entitled to child support if there are children of the marriage who will be primarily residing with you.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer