Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm an American expat living in Spain right now. I am

I'm an American ex***** *****ving...
I'm an American ex***** *****ving in Spain right now. I am considering to change my last name but wonder if it is difficult since I'm not physically present in the U.S. and won't be for the remainder of the year minimum.
I should probably better phrase my question: Is it possible to file all notarized legal documents with the court through an attorney? Once I receive the permission of the court I would also have to file the proper forms to various government entities. LegalZoom helps prepare that stuff but again I'm a bit handicapped as I'm physically in Spain. Is this something an attorney will be able to expedite or should I wait until I'm back in the United States? Thanks! Michael Mehrle
3/16/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

I would say you need to wait until you are back in the United States. While the forms are fairly straightforward (indeed, some Clerk of Courts have them online for persons wishing to file on their own), you generally also must submit fingerprints, and there is a required court appearance. While the court appearance is more of a formality -really a short hearing for the judge to confirm that you are not trying to change your name for any unlawful reason such as to escape criminal prosecution or avoid creditors -an attorney cannot stand in your place for that.

Thanks Robert, much obliged. By the way I do not have any private or government debt, no prior convictions, no children, nothing - also happily married. So there would be no difficulties in regards ***** ***** reg. wanting to escape legal or private obligations.
Okay, that's what I thought. Last question: My previous residence and driver's license is from CA but I am currently registered in Texas (remailer) however I don't live there and probably won't ever live there. Where do you recommend I would perform the legal change? Thanks in advance.

I don't think the name change should be an issue for your then. It's generally not for most people -just a matter of paperwork and the hearing.

I would petition for a name change where you move back and establish residency, wherever that might be!

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your help Robert - you have been very helpful.

My pleasure, thanks so much! Have a great weekend.