Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Regarding modification to existing standard possession

Hello regarding modification to...

Hello regarding modification to existing standard possession order. How do I know if I can modify; my reason for modification is because father does not spent quality time with child leaves child with step parent; my child refuses to go with father (she is 10) because he isolates her; step parent has told her she does not love her father and tells her she makes father feel bad; another reason is because there are 13 people living in the house hold

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has she taken? Has she filed any papers in family court?

I have not filed a modification because I don't know if I can ; daughter is currently going to therapy; father refuses to go to know what the issue is;

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is she in?

Tx

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes father lives with in laws . he has another order for standard possession with another child .. so if both children go it will be 6 people in one bed room (him, wife, two children, my child, and other child from another mother) ok

3/16/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am very sorry to hear this;

a modification of custody/visitation may be sought if there is a substantial change of circumstances. This can include the child's age (as the child ages they have different needs), a change in the child's household, the conduct of a parent, etc.

Relevant forms are here

Here are the statutes relating to the modification of child custody; please see:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.156.htm

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
will the emotional stress and the lack of father's intention to spend quality time factor in a judges decision to modify visitations?

Yes, as the court will look to the best interests of the child and that includes the failure of a parent to use parenting time in an effective manner (beneficial to the child).

great thank you very much for your help today

You are most welcome; good luck to you on this.

Take care.