Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

I've been married 30 years and just found out my husband

I've been married 30 years and just found out my husband never got a divorce from his previous wife. Is my marriage valid?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

No, it is not. Your marriage is considered void under Maryland's law. Your husband is still married to his first wife. You'd be eligible for an annulment under Maryland law to show officially that your marriage as void from the very beginning.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My husband insist he's divorced even though he didn't sign any papers. How do I find documents to verify that my husband is actually divorced (which would have been filed in Washington DC) from his previous wifel

The records of the divorce would be in the DC Superior Court***** NW, Rm. 4335, Washington, DC 20001

Call them at(###) ###-#### They are not your records, so they won't send you a copy of the decree, but unless they were sealed, you or a lawyer could see if they are there on file.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much. You've been very helpful.
--Sally M.

You're very welcome. Good luck!