Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to know my rights as in I am living with my finance…

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know my rights as in I am living with my finance for a year and a half and he told me that he does not want to marry me now and I have to move. What are my rights? I am not saying I want to stay forever but I need time to find a place to live. How long do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

He told me he got an attorney and I should get one as well

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have given him money every since I have lived there too. we have no written contract.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you are living in his place, then legally you are a month to month tenant and he is your landlord. He would have to give you a written 60 day notice to vacate and then file a formal eviction action in court to get a judgment to force you to vacate if you didn't move out within the 60 day period. That takes about another month.

.

So it would be around 3 months before he could force you to vacate legally.

.

.

thanks

I have 60 days after I receive written notice in the state of GA
I have read to places where some say 30 and some say 60. I just want to know what is the right one. We live in Henry County in GA

It is 60 for a landlord for a month to month tenant in GA.... See GA Code 44-7-7. It is 30 days if you wanted to terminate as a tenant..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

No that’s all I have. He was telling me that I only have two weeks BC he verbally told me that I had to leave on 3-7-18 but I told him he did not put it in written. So with that being said. I have to have it in written first then right?

Correct, verbal means nothing legally..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much