Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to get a divorce from my husband whom I haven't seen…

Customer Question
I want to get...

I want to get a divorce from my husband whom I haven't seen in seven years and I don't know where he is

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

No we have no kids or property together

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state is he in?

I don't know where he is I haven't seen him since he left the home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all I just want to get the divorce will this be a contested divorce since I have no physical address for him

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning and I certainly understand. In a situation like this, a party would want and need to hire a process server, to try and make a good faith effort to serve him. They will run what they call a skip trace, to try and find him. If they can not and have made diligent effort, you could then proceed and ask the Judge if you could publish on them, as a form of notice and service, so you can proceed with the divorce.

how can i go about getting my divorce

Yes, I just responded above for your review.

how can i go about getting my divorce
how do i start
how do i get started

You start by going to the clerk of court in the family division in the county where you reside and obtain the forms to fill out and file. Once you do that, he will need to be served and that is when you hire a process server, to try and find him

ok how much does it usually cost
What state and county are you in?
Louisiana Gonzales
Gonzales, Louisianahow can I find out if he has filed or not
It should be around $250 in filing fees

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!