Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My wife and i have one child together and she will not let…

Customer Question
Yes my wife and...

Yes my wife and i have one child together and she will not let me see her also she is taking all the money out of are joint account can she do this ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No nothing yet iam not sure what o do or were to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

California

JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes i work full time in the union and we filed are taxes and i still havent gotten anything back i think she signed my name to the taxes

what are the steps to take to start this and it be legal. i dont have another place to go and she has all are money what do i do . i wanted to try and work this out but she wont have me any more .please text my cell phone .

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Jessica B,
 replied 4 months ago
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

The first step is you need to choose a bank and open an account in your sole name. Do not tell her about this account. Once the account is open, you may withdraw 50% of the money in the joint account and put it in the sole name account. If your paycheck is directly deposited into the joint account, change it to the sole name account. Also, go to the bank where the joint account is and request copies of the bank statements for 2017 and 2018.

The next step is you will need to file for Dissolution of Marriage. Just because you file for divorce does not mean you have to leave the house. She cannot force you to leave.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this information so far before I move on the issue of child custody.